Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Jumping on the Bandwagon

Well, here it goes!  I never thought that I would become a "blogger"  I mean, really, who would want to read my random thoughts?  But then everyday I felt like I had little pieces of advice or interesting tidbits that I wanted to share with people other than my dog (OK he's not a person, but he is a great listener) and my fiance.  So here I am!


A few things you should know about me:
-I am a first year special educator in NY, and in 2011 this means my job is consistently on the line
-I love my job, and have no idea what I would do if I lost it
-I also love learning about nutrition, so am contemplating going that in that direction if another career path is inevitable
-I became very passionate about fitness after graduating college and am always looking for a new butt kicking workout - but Zumba is out of the question, I am pretty sure my hips don't move like that.
-And most importantly, I am marrying my best friend this August


Trying to balance it all isn't easy, which is why I wanted to start writing about it.  I believe that you can work full time, enjoy it, keep yourself healthy through nutrition and fitness, have time for other important activities (like planning a wedding perhaps?) and still be happy and fulfilled in your life.


Tonight, I'll leave you with my favorite recipe & some pictures


Chipotle Shrimp Tacos (taken & modified from myrecipes.com)

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 filled tacos)

Ingredients

  • 2  teaspoons  chili powder
  • 1  teaspoon  sugar
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/2  teaspoon  ground cumin
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground chipotle chile powder
  • 32  peeled and deveined large shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds)
  • 1  teaspoon  olive oil
  • 8  (6-inch) white corn tortillas
  • 2  cups  shredded romaine lettuce
  • 1  ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 16 slices
  • 3/4  cup  salsa 
  • 3/4 cup greek yogurt (highly suggest Fage 0%)

Preparation

1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add shrimp, tossing to coat.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp mixture to pan; cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from heat.
3. Heat tortillas according to the package, I place mine between two damp paper towels and microwave for 30-40 seconds; then top each tortilla with 3-4 shrimp, avocados, lettuce, greek yogurt & salsa 









Thanks for reading & enjoy!
-L

4 comments:

  1. Love this blog and the recipe. I'm going to make it next week. Can't wait to read more. Can Casey be a featured dog? I just really love him. I want to play "hot lava" with him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog already!! I'm definitely becoming a loyal follower...and totally making this recipe ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited to follow another blog! Can you add a button on here so I can subscribe? Can't wait to read the recipes!!!!

    ReplyDelete