Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Rainy Day Cookies

On a yucky, rainy night, what's better than some comfort food & cookies?  Nothing, except maybe a little red wine to go with it.  Tonight was supposed to be my day back to the gym (after resting my back) since Thursday, but as one problem gets better, another introduces itself - whatup awesome hacking cough!? And thanks kids!  So tomorrow, I promise, I will be getting back to NYSC.  I will finally test out my new Vibrams and go to a total body class - my body feels so... unsore and I'm not liking it.
Since my day was a wash anyway, why not make some cookies!?   I've been having fun searching google, not for vegan recipes, but for recipes that I can veganize, yeaaaaaaah.  I figured no one wants to read a blog that just remakes what all the better other blogs make, so I'm on a mission to veganize some favorites.  Todays challenge: Fig & Flax Thumbprint Cookies (this actually isn't a favorite, I just have a gigantic bag of dried figs but maybe it will become a favorite - positive thinking people).  I am literally making this while I type, so I won't have the opportunity to make it, hate it, get discouraged, and never tell you about it.  I guess I could just delete what I've written so far, but I won't do that this time - I promise I'll be honest; if it sucks, I'll change the title to Sucky Rainy Day Cookies.

Fig & Flax Thumbprint Cookies














Fig Preserve
Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup dried figs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp lemon juice









Directions
  • Chop figs, place in saucepan with water, bring water to a boil and let simmer covered for about 25 minutes until the figs are soft

  • Pour contents of the saucepan into a blender and blend until pureed 
  • Pour back into saucepan and combine with sugar and lemon juice 

  • Let all ingredients cook over medium head for about 15 minutes until it looks "jammy"
Cookies
Ingredients 
  • 1/2 cup earth balance 
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (separated)
  • 1 flax egg (1tbsp ground flax & 3 tbsp water)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 1/4 tbsp flax seeds (separated)
  • 1/4 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Directions 
  • Preheat oven to 350, prepare flax egg & let sit
  • Beat earth balance & 1/4 cup brown sugar until creamy 
  • Add flax egg, vanilla and lemon
  • Wisk flours, 2 tbsp flax cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a separate bowl until well combined
  • Slowly add flour mixture to wet mixture and beat until well combined 
  • In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup brown sugar & 1/4 tsp tbsp and mix well
  • Dip rounded teaspoon sized cookie dough balls into brown sugar & flax mixture and roll

  •  Put dough balls onto a baking sheet, press thumb into the middle, and spoon about 1/2-1/4 tsp fig preserve into middle

  • Bake for 14-16 minutes 

Enjoy!
Verdict: J has proclaimed that after my 3 hours of slaving away... They DIDN'T SUCK!! Since I made a mini-batch, I will be confident enough to make a full batch soon because I kinda loved these :)
So there ya go, start to finish, my homemade Fig & Flax Cookies... and I didn't have to change todays title.

Peas, Love & Thanks for Reading!!
-L

1 comment: