Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chili's Comeback

Nix what I said about that chili, J & I both had it for lunch the next day and it was unfreakingbelieveable! I've noticed that when I make chili and have leftovers the next day, it's so much better than the day before.  From now on all chili will be forced to hang in the fridge overnight before being eaten :)

I now feel confident enough to give you the recipe:

Hearty Vegan Chili
(Based on this recipe - Thank you healthy girl's kitchen!) 
Ingredients

  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 6 garlic cloves - chopped or pressed 
  • 2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes 
  • 3 15 oz cans black beans
  • 1 bag frozen corn (I used Trader Joe's fire roasted corn)
  • 1 4 oz can green chilies
  • 1 TBSP olive oil 
  • 4 TBSP chili powder 
  • 2 TBSP oregano
  • 2 TBSP cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon (my secret chili ingredient - don't tell anyone!)
  • 1 tsp cayenne (omit if you don't like spicy)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions
  • Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat 
  • Add onions and let them cook down for 8-10 minutes 
  • You may want to add a little water before adding garlic so it doesn't burn
  • Add garlic and let it chill out with the onions for about 2-3 minutes 
  • Add tomatoes with juice, green chilies & spices - let them cook together about 10 minutes 
  • Rinse beans well and drain - add them along with the bag of corn
  • Let it all hang out for a while!
  • Stick it in the fridge and eat the next day for lunch or dinner - get ready for an explosion of sweet & spicy deliciousness!
I hope that everyone had a great Valentine's Day!  J & I celebrated at our favorite Thai restaurant - tofu & veggies a plenty!

Peas, Love & Thanks for Reading!
~L


No comments:

Post a Comment