Search This Blog

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Quinoa For Breakfast?

I came home sick from work yesterday, and am still not 100% today.  So like any sicky, I wanted something bland but slightly sweet, something with texture, and something that would warm me up.  My first thought was oatmeal - but since I have it for breakfast all the time, I wanted something different.  After a quick google search, I had it!  Breakfast Quinoa (which will now be called BQ)!  Before I get into the recipe you should all know I went on a little shopping spree last weekend with the one and only Kristine, so this week I put myself on a spending freeze (something my dad coined when I was younger - looking back, I'm pretty sure we were on a "spending freeze" for about 90% of my childhood).  This meant no ordering out for dinner, no manicures, and NO food shopping this week!  In the infamous words of Tim Gunn, we had to make it work.  The dinners came out pretty good; we dined on veggie burgers (of course), stir fry, spaghetti with tomato sauce, and a tofu version of my BBQ Seitan Pizza.
BBQ Tofu Pizza 
The dinners were all pretty good and we cleaned out our fridge - score!
Since we wiped out all of our fresh veggies, I had to be creative when looking for my BQ toppings.  Alas I found one little lonely apple!  I knew she had to be cooked down with a little EB (Earth Balance, duh)  and cinnamon so it would be like a quinoa apple pie.

Apple Breakfast Quinoa



Ingredients
The original ingredients - more joined the mix later!

  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup quinoa 
  • 3 TBSP brown sugar (I cut it down to 2 - and will use pure maple syrup next time)
  • (around)1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 TBSP Earth Balance 
  • 1 apple - peeled, cored and chopped

Directions
  • Bring almond milk to a boil
  • Add quinoa and bring down to a simmer; cover and let cook for about 15 minutes - stir frequently
  • While you are waiting for your quinoa to cook - add chopped apples, earth balance & a sprinkle of cinnamon to a microwave safe dish
  • Microwave apple for 45 seconds, remove & stir, and microwave for another 45 seconds
  • When quinoa is cooked & no liquid remains, add the remainder of ingredients: cinnamon, brown sugar or maple syrup and apples
  • Let them cook together for about 5 minutes over a low flame 
  • Taste and add seasoning to your liking :) 
This should be enough for two, but I inhaled the whole pot... so make extra if you're anything like me!

Peas, Love & Thanks for Reading!
-L

1 comment:

  1. Making this very soon! Looove :) Spending freeze = me too :(

    ReplyDelete