Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Sunday Morning Pancakes

I know it's not Sunday, but J and I never have our days off together so when we do it kinda feels like a Sunday.  He works at a hospital, so he works weekends.  When we do have mornings off together we like to make them special, which usually involves making pancakes!  It always brings back warm memories of being the "flipper" while my dad made pancakes on Sunday mornings.   There's really no reason to buy Bisquick or other prepackaged pancake mixes that usually have lard (bleh!) and other sketchy ingredients in them.  Making your own pancakes is super easy, much healthier, cheaper, and delicious!

Vegan Pancakes

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
  • 3 TBSP Sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder 
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1 1/2 C Almond Milk
  • 2 Flax Eggs (2 TBSP Flax + 6 TBSP Water)
  • 3 TBSP Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract 
  • 1 TBSP Earth Balance Butter
  • *Optional* Nuts, Chocolate Chips, Bananas or any other topping!
Directions
  • Make your flax egg & set aside
  • Heat a large heavy skillet on the stove over high heat - when it starts smoking it's ready!
  • Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, sugar, baking powder & salt)
  • Mix wet ingredients (almond milk, flax eggs, olive oil, vanilla) well and combine with dry - leave a little lumpy 
  • Rub Earth Balance over the hot pan, wipe off with a paper towel (you don't want your pan super greasy), turn heat down a little to med/high
  • Pour about 1/4 C of batter for each pancake into the pan
  • If you are adding any optional ingredients - push them into the pancakes now (I made the mistake of mixing them into the batter and lost all control... DON'T be like me!)
Monsta Pancake
  • Flip when you start to see little bubbles around the edges & they are golden brown 
  • Enjoy with pure maple syrup :)
If I make extra I love to freeze them and take them to work as a quick breakfast treat!

J & I are off to Florida TOMORROW so if you don't hear from me, I'm too busy basking in the sun B-)  (That's me with sunglasses in case you were wondering)

Peas, Love & Thanks for Reading!
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment